Moderator: Moderatoren

Plaats reactie
calrog
polderweggetje
Contacteer:

[USA] Kentucky

Bericht door calrog » za 27 okt 2007, 11:39

Hi Autosnelwegen folk,

I'm sorry for confusing y'all in the past by using French or German in this BB. Admittedtly, I love to practise these languages; but this forum was not the correct venue. English comes natural for me, so what the heck. I'll use it here going forward :D

As some of you may know, Kentucky is an American state that is sandwiched between the industrious Midwest and rural South. I recently put a book together that catalogues major highways between major cities like Louisville, Bowling Green and Grayson with more rural hamlets. Of course I'm partial to the publication being the author. :hahaHAHA:

If you're interested in learning more about the Interstate, Federal and State highways in Kentucky, please consider the book as your resource tool! http://www.lulu.com/content/1353669.

Personally, my favourite part of Kentucky is the Ohio River valley. It's a flatland region that to several small cities ( < 5 000 people each). The abundance of Federal highways in the region help move dairy and grain to other parts of the USA. If you're in a hurry and wish to rush the latitude of Kentucky's northern tier, Interstate 64 is the "autobahn" of choice.

If you have any experience in Kentucky, please share! It's a really neat state that is often overlooked by travelers.

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
San Francisco, CA, USA

Rene
4x5 autosnelweg
Contacteer:

Re: [USA] Kentucky

Bericht door Rene » za 27 okt 2007, 19:25

Voor de goede orde: de link prijst een via een website te koop aangeboden boek aan, waarvan topicstarter de auteur is.
Dit is niet verboden op het forum, maar het leek me goed om iedereen er even duidelijk op te wijzen :idea:

Chris

Bericht door Chris » za 27 okt 2007, 19:58

I don't think a lot of Europeans travelling to the United States will visit Kentucky. New York, California, the Rockies, Florida and Washington are much more visited. If people come nearby Kentucky, they probably visit Tennessee (Memphis, Elvis fans). St Louis and the Great Smoky Mts aren't very far either.

calrog
polderweggetje
Contacteer:

Bericht door calrog » za 27 okt 2007, 21:12

Yeah, Tennessee may be as close as the average European tourist gets. Catch is, the closest major airports to Kentucky would be in Memphis or Indianapolis. A several hour drive would be required getting in, but there are no real landmarks in Kentucky that would even "stand out" to the average American's mind.

There are some neat tourist locations in Kentucky often overlooked. For example, there's the Land Between the Lakes Park. Accessible by US (Federal) Route 62, one can camp on a peninsula surrounded by narrow, yet surrounding lake. That's about three or four hours from Memphis. If you're into fishing and don't like crowds, Grayson Lake is a neat opportunity. About an hour or two from Frankfort (state's capital) via Interstate 64, Grayson Lake is a reeler's hotspot for wild bass and bluegill. At any rate, a trip into Kentucky would not be a fast-paced one--it's primarily designed for the nature-minded outdoorsperson.

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
San Francisco, CA, USA

Palance
4x5 autosnelweg
Contacteer:

Bericht door Palance » za 27 okt 2007, 22:35

Rene schreef:Voor de goede orde: de link prijst een via een website te koop aangeboden boek aan, waarvan topicstarter de auteur is.
Dit is niet verboden op het forum, maar het leek me goed om iedereen er even duidelijk op te wijzen :idea:
Dat stond toch ook al vrij duidelijk in de originele posting vermeld, dat het boek van de topicstarter is?
"You know the greatest danger facing us is ourselves, an irrational fear of the unknown. But there’s no such thing as the unknown — only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood.” - James T. Kirk

Autosnelwegen.net

Rene
4x5 autosnelweg
Contacteer:

Bericht door Rene » zo 28 okt 2007, 0:32

Klopt, maar omdat de post in het Engels was meende ik dat in het Nederlands er nog even duidelijk bij te moeten zetten.
De beheersing van het Engels is natuurlijk niet zo dat dat altijd voor iedereen even duidelijk zal zijn.

Plaats reactie