Fréjus Tunnel

Moderator: Moderatoren

Plaats reactie
Coccodrillo
stadsweg

Fréjus Tunnel

Bericht door Coccodrillo » za 01 nov 2014, 11:43

Only 50 m are left in the second Fréjus road tunnel: http://www.lastampa.it/2014/10/31/crona ... agina.html

It should open in 2019.

For the Fréjus tunnel a ~4 m diametre tube was initially planned, but it was then decided (I think under pressure from firefighters) to increase the diametre so as to allow two fire trucks to cross each other at very low speed. The decision to open the tube to traffic was taken soon after, so the result is a tube which is big compared to normal safety tunnels but small compared to normal traffic tunnels. There will thus be a single lane (+ shoulder).

Ecologist groups have nothing to do here. Usually they either oppose road projects and approve rail projects, or oppose both. On the Italian side of the Fréjus instead they oppose a rail project but say nothing about twinning the road tunnel.

I don't know how will be operated in the future the tunnel, but there aren't many options: either 1+1 or 2+1 (with two lanes towards Italy in the existing tube). I'm not aware of plans to renovate the old tube, but I would not be surprised if it will be closed for refurbishment with alternate traffic in the other.

Because of the very high tolls it is unlikely the new tube will attract more traffic, however as tolls of the Mont Blanc tunnel are similar, it is possible that some trucks will switch to the Fréjus instead (same tolls, similar distance on long trips, but likely less strict safety rules).

The second Tenda tunnel has a different history: it was opened in 1882 and at 3182 m was likely the longest road tunnel of its time, a time when motorized road vehicles practically did not exist. It can either handle two-way traffic or cars, or alternate traffic of lower trucks (under 3.8 m or so). After the second single lane (+ shoulder) tube will be opened the first one will be eidened to allow higher vehicles.

Drawing of a section: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... count=7686
für Güter die Bahn
pour vos marchandises le rail
chi dice merci dice ferrovia

waldo79
4x3 autosnelweg

Re: Fréjus Tunnel

Bericht door waldo79 » za 01 nov 2014, 12:14

As far as I know a high speed train service from Lyon to Turin is planned underneath the Frejus mountains. And for safety reasons twinning the existing tunnel is recommended. But they have to lower the extraordinary tolls on the Frejus route. It is way to unattractive :nothanks:

Coccodrillo
stadsweg

Bericht door Coccodrillo » za 01 nov 2014, 12:49

waldo79 schreef:But they have to lower the extraordinary tolls on the Frejus route.
I completely agree on that. The same on the Mont Blanc.
für Güter die Bahn
pour vos marchandises le rail
chi dice merci dice ferrovia

exroosje
verkeersader

Bericht door exroosje » ma 03 nov 2014, 9:12

Yet this summer I regularly heard traffic reports in the tunnels on busy saturdays...

Plaats reactie